With just a little bit of prep, a cast iron skillet and a meat thermometer, you’ll have a juicy cut of roast beef tenderloin that’ll make you close your eyes, dance and lick your plate after every bite.
What Is a Beef Tenderloin?
Beef tenderloin is the most tender cut of beef and it is located within the loin. This is where we get filet mignon, which is made from the very tip of the pointy end of the tenderloin. There is also very little fat within the tenderloin, making it a very lean cut. Because of all that, beef tenderloin is one of the most expensive cuts of beef.
How To Prepare Beef Tenderloin
- TRIM: Start by trimming your beef tenderloin if it is not already trimmed for you. I purchase mine from US wellness meats and it came trimmed. To trim the beef tenderloin you’ll want to remove the “silverskin” that runs down the length of the tenderloin. Run your knife gently underneath while pulling it up with your other hand. Trim off any other excess fat around the outside and remove “the chain” which is just a fatty strip along the outside as well.
- TIE: A beef tenderloin is a long cut of beef that comes to a point at one end. In order to get the beef to cook evenly it’s important to tie it up and make it as uniform in shape as possible. Using butcher’s twine you can easily tie it up. Tuck the long pointed end up into the thicker part of the tenderloin creating a uniform cylinder shape.
- SALT and CHILL: To give your tenderloin a delicious crust on the outside, you salt it and leave it in the fridge overnight unwrapped. This will dry out the surface, helping it to gain a gorgeous browned crust when seared. This step is optional, so if you don’t have time, don’t worry, you’ll still get great results.
How To Cook Roast Beef Tenderloin
- SEASON: Coat the outside with salt and pepper and let sit at room temperature for a couple of hours. This will help to cook the insides evenly.
- SEAR: Heat some avocado oil in a large cast-iron skillet and sear the beef tenderloin on all sides for about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- BASTE: Add butter and garlic to the pan and baste a few times with butter and place in the oven.
- ROAST: Cook the beef tenderloin at 425 degrees F. until the desired internal temperature is reached. This will only take about 20 to 25 minutes! Allow to REST that is key.
I make this for dinner parties I cater all the time and another great part is you can make a day ahead and lift out 2-3 hours before serving. Slice and serve with your favorite sauces. Happy Cooking XOXO
Easy and Delicious Roasted Beef Tenderloin
Simple and delicious Beef Tenderloin my go to recipe for celebrating or entertaining.
Tie up tenderloin and season with salt and pepper if you did not do this the day prior. Remove from fridge and set on counter for about 2 hours prior to cooking, to come to room temperature.Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.Place oil in a large cast-iron skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Sear the beef tenderloin on all sides, about 3 to 5 minutes per side, creating a nice golden-brown crust.Then add butter and garlic cloves and baste meat a few times and then insert a probe thermometer. If using the skillet, place in preheated oven, or transfer to a baking dish and place in preheated oven. Roast until desired internal temperature is reached, about 20 to 25 minutes.Remove tenderloin from oven and transfer to a cutting board. Let rest for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute before slicing.