White beans with Broccoli rabe and horseradish! Happy December everyone. I thought I would kick this month off with one of my favorite winter vegetables broccoli rabe . If you have never eaten broccoli rabe you are in for a treat, (just tell the kids it’s a vegetable that will make them grow strong like the hulk). It is known as a cooking green due to it’s bitterness and loaded with fiber, minerals and a delicious change to kale. It makes a perfect vessel for the umami loaded sauce and beans.
I was inspired by this recipe from my pantry. The ingredients in the dish are things I make sure I have in my kitchen at all times. From canned beans, to sun-dried tomatoes, to lemons and anchovies. They all add a huge depth of flavor and have a long shelf life.
If your looking for a healthy, quick and delicious dish this is it. Use this bean mixture on top of a perfectly toasted piece of sourdough. Curl up next to the fire for a cozy winter meal.
White beans with Broccoli rabe and Horseradish
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small lemon thinly sliced
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch broccili rabe chopped
- 1/4 cup marsala wine
- 1/4 sundried tomaotes
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 can white beans
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh grated horseradish
- crushed red pepepr flakes
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add lemon, anchovies, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lemon is softened and brown in spots and anchovies fall apart, about 5 minutes. Add marsala wine cook for 1 minute, add broccoli rabe; season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing occasionally, until bright green and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
Add beans and 1/4cup water to pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors have melded and liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Mix in parsley, sun dried tomatoes and 2 Tbsp. horseradish.
Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if desired, and top with more horseradish.
If you make this recipe please rate/comment below I love to hear from you!