The perfect Personalized vegetable frittata loaded with nutritious vegetables and topped with a nutty, crunchy almond herb crumble!
Nothing says love like a homemade meal! With Valentines day coming up this weekend I thought I would share one of my favorite dishes to make with loved ones, personalized vegetable frittatas. I absolutely love a frittata they are so full of flavor and can really be filled with any vegetable, meat, cheeses, herbs the possibility is endless.
Now I feel most people focus on a fancy dinner for Valentines but why not start the day off with a loving meal you make together. All you need are a few key ingredients pasture raised eggs, some cooked and raw vegetables, seasonings and a cast iron pan.
The key ingredient the eggs! Make sure you buy pasture raised eggs these chickens are treated right and fed a diet of real foods and not like conventional eggs that are fed candy and a whole host of other awful things. Eggs are one of the most nutrient dense foods on the plant and don’t forget you eat whatever they eat. I also find the pasture raised have so much more flavor and the yolks are so golden and delicious.
Fun tip on making frittatas the number of eggs you use will indicate the size of pan you need. For instance if you have a 10 inch cast iron skillet you need 10 eggs etc. When make the frittatas I find starting on the stove and finishing in the oven gives the best texture and right amount of cook time for the filling. Quick note if you make the frittata in a bigger pan just add more eggs and double the veggies. Also heat the oven to 400’F and do not broil cook for an additional 8-10 or until eggs are set and cooked.
Go crazy with your favorite vegetables and add a mix of whatever you like. Consider these flavor bombs too sundried tomatoes, pesto, pancetta, capers, roasted tomatoes, and all the herbs! This recipe is enough for one but can easily be doubled or tripled for the amount of people eating. Get creative have fun and most of all cook with your loved ones!
Vegetable Frittata For One
- 1 small shallot or green onion your favorite onion
- 1 small zucchini thinly sliced
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 tbsp chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red cabbage
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp toasted almonds chopped
- 1 garlic clove grated
- Zest of lemon
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Heat broiler to high In a small non-stick skillet, saute the shallot in 1 tablespoon of avocado oil over medium-low heat. When they begin to become tender, add the zucchini, kale and red pepper. Saute the veggies until they are cooked through and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the cabbage season with salt and pepper. Season the egg with salt and pepper and pour it over the veggies. Place in the oven and broil until the bottom of the frittata has set and the top is nearly cooked through, about 3-5 minutes. For the gremolata mix almonds, lemon zest, garlic and parsley in a bowl. Season with salt and sprinkle over baked frittata.Note – If you make in a bigger pan I recommend heating the oven to 375 and cooking for 8-10 minutes or until eggs are cooked and set.
If you make this recipe I would love to hear from you!! Have an amazing day!