Vegan stuffed shells loaded with vegetables and a roasted garlic tofu ricotta!
Happy Tuesday everyone I hope you are having a great start to your week. Today I though I would share a fun recipe for the whole family will enjoy! I made these for a family I cook for and they loved them. I know the title says vegan but I promise you no one will ever know! This dish can be made all homemade or you can use a few pantry staples from the store.
This recipe will win over any picky eater and also a fun dish to make with the kids! Healthy, quick and loaded with nutrients.
I made a homemade tomato sauce or you can simply use your favorite jarred brand ( my favorite is Primal Kitchen Foods). For the filling, I roasted butternut squash, then sautéed onion, mushroom, garlic and spinach seasoned simply with salt, pepper and italian seasonings. Mixed with a roasted garlic tofu ricotta and topped with herby breadcrumbs!
Feel free to use regular ricotta as well just make sure you add all the fixings!
If you make this dish I would love to hear from you!! Have an amazing week!
Vegan Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells
- 1 28 ounce can Organic Whole tomatoes
- 1 16 ounce can organic crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 whole garlic clove chopped
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 16-18 jumbo shells
Roasted Garlic Tofu Ricotta
- 1 block extra firm tofu drained
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 6 roasted garlic cloves peeled
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or regular parmesan
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped italian parsley
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups roasted butternut squash
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 pkg organic frozen spinach drained of excess water
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped italian parsley
- 1/ cup fresh chopped basil
Bread crumb Topping
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp dairy free or regular butter
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped italian parsley
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.In a blender or food processor, puree together the whole tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, paste, garlic, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. ( Can puree completely or leave a bit chunky both works) . Place sauce in a sauce pan over medium heat and allow to cook while you prepare the remaining ingredients.Add all the ricotta ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning if needed. This can be made a day or two ahead.In a large saute pan heat avocado oil and saute onions and mushrooms until carmelized. Season with salt and pepper. remove from the heat and add roasted squash and herbs. Mix together ricotta and vegetable mixture, set aside. Using the same saute pan as the vegetable saute, add butter and cook until it begins to brown. Add breadcrumbs and toast for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add minced garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. Stir as the residual heat will continute to toast the crumbs. Cook your shells in salty water until al dente.Prepare a baking dish with a good slathering of marinara at the bottom.Scoop a few tablespoons of filling into each shell, place them into the baking dish. Top each with a generous spoonful of marinara, breadcrumbs and a drizzle of olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes.