Easy, healthy and Dairy Free this baked Cauliflower gratin will satisfy all your comfort needs!
Move over potatoes cauliflower is making its way to the cozy comfort food list. I feel like this dish encapsulates my approach to recipe re-creation: small tweaks to improve nutrition and add my own twist, with zero sacrifice in the taste and texture department. In fact, I like to think my versions are (sometimes) better than the traditional style.
Now traditional gratins are typically loaded with starchy potatoes, heavy cream and butter. While there is nothing wrong with that once in a while I feel like the more we can eat the foods we love but in healthier versions the less guilt and overindulging will occur. Also the more veggies we eat in a day the better!!
Enter this cauliflower gratin. Instead of potatoes I use roasted cauliflower which gives it that delicious texture and actually adds a bit more flavor from roasting it. A garlicky cashew cream sauce replaces the cream and crispy shallots add that crunch we all love on top. It’s creamy, packed with flavor and healthy what more could you ask for right?!
A few tips: make sure when you roast the cauliflower you spread it out on the baking sheet so it roasts and doesn’t steam. You can make the shallots up to one day ahead if you prefer and dont skimp on the herbs feel free to use your favorites and add more if you want too.
This dish is great for the holidays, meal prep and even a weeknight side dish.
Dairy Free Cauliflower Gratin
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- kosher salt and pepper
Cashew Cream Sauce
- 1 cup cashews soaked overnight, drained
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp djion mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika optional
- 1 tbsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 cups cashew milk
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped sage
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 shallots peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp potato starch
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.In a large bowl add cauliflower and toss with avocado oil, salt and pepper. Cook 15-20 minutes until crispy.For the onions mix all ingredients in a bowl and spread out on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake 10-15 minutes until crispy. Remove from the oven and allow too cool.While the cauliflower is cooking, in a blender, add in the drained cashews, garlic, nutritional yeast, vinegar, mustard, paprika, salt, pepper and cashew milk sauce and blend until smooth. Taste to adjust seasoning if needed and mix in herbs. In a 10 inch cast iron skillet or baking dish pour half the sauce on the bottom and place the cauliflower in the pan and pour the remaining sauce over the top.Bake for 15-20 minutes until the sauce starts to bubble and brown on top. Top with crispy onions and additional herbs and serve!
If you make this recipe please comment below I love to hear from you. Happy Cooking!