The perfect fall salad for the holidays. Quick, easy and delicious the whole family will love.
• 6 cups shredded brussel sprouts (about one 12 ounce bag)
• 1 cup parmesan cheese
• 1 small green apple thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
• 4 thick cut slices bacon, chopped
• 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1 tablespoon each fresh thyme and sage leaves
• 1 teaspoon each fresh orange and lemon zest
• kosher salt and black pepper
• pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
In a large salad bowl, combine the shredded brussel sprouts, cheese, hazelnuts and apple.
Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain onto a paper towel. Drain bacon fat from skillet.
To make the vinaigrette. Heat the olive oil in the same skillet used to cook the bacon over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the shallots, cook until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat, let cool slightly. Add the mustard, lemon juice, thyme, sage, lemon and orange zest. Whisk and Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, tossing to combine. Top the salad with bacon. Serve warm or at room temperature.