Sweet Potato Toast with Greek Bruschetta! The ultimate easy breakfast, lunch and meal prep recipe.
Have you ever used sweet potatoes in place of bread? if not be prepared for your newest breakfast obsession. I absolutely love it. Not only does it get more vegetables into your diet but changes the usual go to toast for breakfast. No I will say using sweet potatoes does not give you that same crispy crust edges as bread does but you can personalize the potatoes with an array of spices and toppings which makes them incredible.
When making the sweet potatoes choose a nice big, fat sweet potato or yam. Look for ones that are relatively tube-shaped so they’re easier to slice. I then scrub it under running water, pat it dry and trim the ends off . I don’t remove the skin because fiber is good and I find that it helps the slices hold up better during storage. Slice the potato into 1/4″ slices and toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper or your favorite spices. Bake on a baking rack for 20-25 minutes and allow to cool.
For the bruschetta I had a ton of red peppers so I thought it would be fun to go greek style and incorporate the amazing flavors from Greece. Not only that but I would love to travel there right now. I mixed red peppers, red onion, kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, dried oregano, feta cheese, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Served it on top of the sweet potatoes with a 9 minute egg and shiitake bacon.
Both the sweet potatoes and bruschetta can be made ahead and last a week in the fridge. They are fabulous for meal prep and quick and easy meals. Also fun for the kids to make a sweet potato toast bar with sweet and savory toppings.
Sweet Potato Toast with Greek Bruschetta
- 2 large sweet potatoes cut into 3-4 pieces each (like a football)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper or favorite spice
- 2 roasted red peppers peeled and diced
- 1/4 red onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp sundried tomatoes packed in oil
- 2 tbsp chopped kalamata olives
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice the sweet potato into even slices, approximately 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick, using a sharp knife.Lightly oil both sides of the sweet potato slices, season with salt and pepper or desired seasonings, then place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until cooked through and slightly toasted. Thicker slices may require more time to cook.To meal prep and save the cooked sweet potato, let it cool completely. Then, place it in a storage container.Bruschetta :Mix all ingredients in a bowl and season to taste with additional salt if needed.
If you make this recipe please comment below. I love to hear from you! Follow me on instagram as well for more recipes and tips @danielle_christy_