Spinach, Artichoke and White Bean Casserole! This healthy bake is filled with creamy white beans, chunky artichokes and all the greens. Rich and velvety like the original but nutritious and packed with flavor.
You might be thinking I am crazy sharing a casserole recipe when its still really hot outside but this is so easy to make I couldn’t resist. This is a one pan wonder. Can be made ahead, eaten as a dip and even used as a sauce for grains and pastas.
What makes this casserole is the use of cashews and beans for the sauce, which creates the creaminess we all love. I mean you can’t have a casserole and it not be creamy.
Ingredients for the Casserole
- Frozen spinach which I find is better than fresh because there is no residual water let over after cooking. So make sure before you add it to the pan you squeeze as much water out as possible.
- A can of whole artichoke hearts which I drained and chopped
- 1 can white beans I love cannalenni, drained and rinsed
- Garlic and onion well because I literally have a hard time cooking with out them
- Cashews which help make the creamy sauce
- Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast for cheesiness
- Panko Bread crumbs for the crispy crunchy topping
Spinach Artichoke and White Bean Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jar artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1 16 ounce bag frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 1 can white beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan or nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup gluten free panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 ‘F. In oven safe skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Sauce the onion and season with salt until translucent. Add the garlic and sauce until fragrant. add the spinach, artichoke hearts and 1 cup beans. Stir and remove pan from heat. In a food processor add the cashews, almond milk, lemon juice and zest, herbs and process until smooth. Mix into the skillet mixture. in a small sauce pan add the olive oil and toast breadcrumbs for 2-3 minutes and sprinkle on top of the spinach mixture. Top with parmesan and bake 15 minutes.
DO you have a favorite casserole? If you do please share below I love to hear from you!! Also if you make this recipe tag #savorthekitchen I love to see your creations.