Roasted Root Vegetable tossed with a warm mustard dressing and topped with Spiced Pecans! The perfect way to start off a healthy new year!
Happy new Years Everyone! To start us off on the right foot I thought I would share with you one of my favorite salads. It’s loaded with veggies, healthy fats and a delicious warm dressing.
If your focus this year is to get healthier one giant step is in the kitchen. Starting with whole real foods is the way to go. Eat as many colors as you can in a day and I highly recommend not doing juice cleanses and fad diets they only work for a short term and never maintain longevity and health. My motto is the less packages and boxes you open the better.
Now for this salad I used brussel sprouts, red cabbage, brocilli , red onion and cauliflower for the base. Roasted them until the natural sugars in the vegetables caramelized. This brings out that deliciousness we all love in crispy food.
Have you ever made a warm dressing? It is one of my favorite things to do and so simple. All you need is a small sauce pan, good quality olive oil and some aromatics. This mustard dressing compliments the vegetables so well I amp it up with some garlic, a hint of sweet from dates and a hint of acid from apple cider vinegar. The key to a delicious dressing is salt, fat, acid and heat. When you create a warm dressing it really coats all the nooks and crannies of the vegetables which gives eat bite pure deliciousness.
Now what is a salad with out a crunchy topping! The spiced pecans are the perfect topper for this dish. All you need is maple syrup, a pinch of cayenne, cinnamon and butter. Toasted up in the oven until crispy and crunchy. Make sure you make extra as I tend to eat half before they even make it to the salad.
Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Warm Mustard Dressing and Spiced Pecans
- 1 cup shaved brussel sprouts
- 1 cup riced cauliflower
- 1 cup diced red cabbage
- 1 cup chopped brocilli
- 1 poblano pepper seeded and diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 tbsp fresh rosemary, sage and thyme
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp kosher salt and pepper
Warm Mustard Dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 pitted date chopped
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp djion mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- kosher salt and pepper
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup whole pecans
- 2 tbsp browned butter
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Heat oven to 450’F.Mix all ingredients in large bowl and season with S&P. Place on parchment lined baking sheets and roast for 15-20 minutes. Make sure to spread out on baking sheets so they roast and do not steam!Warm Mustard DressingTo make the vinaigrette. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat. When the oil simmers, add the shallots, cook until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat, let cool slightly. Add the apple cider vinegar, date, mustards and thyme. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Maple Pecans Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pecans, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, 2 tablespoons butter, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook, stirring often, until the pecans are toasted and golden, about 5-8 minutes. Remove the pecans from the pan to a parchment lined cutting board. Let cool and then roughly chop. To serve place vegetable mixture in a large bowl. Top with warm dressing, toss and top with pecans. Enjoy!!
If you are looking for some help on your health journey I have FREE COACHING CALLS available now! I would love to support you in any way! Also if you make this recipe below I would love to hear from you! Cheers to an amazing 2021!!