Socca the delicious gluten free flatbread similar to naan and a little thicker than a tortilla. Crispy, bready and my new go to for dipping, scooping, rolling and topping. In fact the beautiful thing about this bread is its a one ingredient wonder! Chickpea flour is the main base along with water, salt and pepper. In addition to the flour I added garlic and chives to deepen the flavor and give it a pop of color.
A few key tips when making socca. First is to let the mix rest at least one hour before cooking, secondly is to use a hot cast iron pan before you pour in your dough and finally top it with as many yummy ingredients as possible.
Whether you serve it for breakfast or dinner my favorite summer toppings include marinated tomatoes, dairy free creamy slaw and a crispy fried egg. Quick, healthy and easy. Mix, pour, bake and your on your way to bread heaven.
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour (Bob’s Red mill)
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tsp sea salt and pepper each
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil, plus more for the pan
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- Marinated Tomatoes
- 1 cup olive Oil
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 whole green onion, sliced
- ½ cup fresh chopped herbs
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 pounds Tomatoes, cut in half or quarters
- Simple Cabbage Slaw
- 1 cup green cabbage shredded
- ½ tsp celery seed
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- ½ cup dairy free yogurt
- 1 tbsp djion mustard
- ½ tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Mix your garbanzo bean flour, 2 tbsp olive oil, water, and seasonings together in a bowl. Whisk until smooth. It’s best to let it sit for 1 hour at room temperature. Preheat the oven and then the pan. Heat to 450°F. About 5 minutes before the batter is done resting, place a 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven and turn the oven to broil. Add the batter to the prepared pan. Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven. Add about 1 teaspoon of oil, enough to coat the bottom of the pan when the pan is swirled. Pour the batter into the center of the pan. Tilt the pan so the batter coats the entire surface of the pan, if needed. Broil the socca for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in bowl except cabbage. Taste add more seasoning if necessary. Add cabbage to bowl and massage dressing and make sure all cabbage is covered.
Let me know in the comments if you make the recipe!