Quick and Easy Slow roasted summer tomatoes!
One of my favorite parts of summer are juicy tomatoes. Tomatoes have a special place in my heart. Growing up my grandma and grandpa always had a small garden. They would grow beets, bell peppers, squash and TOMATOES. My favorite thing to do was run into the backyard, pick a juicy red tomato and take a big bite out of them like a piece of candy. Even though they are a fruit tomatoes have a delicious savory sweetness that lends to a variety of dishes.
A simple slow roast is one of my favorite ways to cook and eat tomatoes. I combine fresh herbs, garlic, salt and cover with olive oil. Roast in a 275 degree oven for 90 minutes and finish with a splash of high quality vinegar. This creates a luxurious sauce that can be used for pasta, meats, salads and so much more!
This delicious mix will last in the fridge up to a week or you can freeze in ice cube trays for up to 3 months.
- 4 lbs heirloom tomatoes sliced
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- ½ sweet onion thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10 sprigs fresh herbs such as thyme, basil, parsley, or rosemary
- 1-2 tbsp sherry or balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 275°F. Layer the tomatoes, onion, garlic and herbs in an oven safe baking dish. Season with salt, pepper and cover with olive oil. Roast in the oven 70-90 minutes or until the skin softens. Once done remove from the oven and finish with vinegar.