Roasted Chicken with Lemon Garlic and Herb Butter!! The ultimate family dinner.
Growing up roasted chicken was definitely a staple in my mom’s cooking and I have continued that tradition. Roasting chicken is so easy and pleases even the pickiest of eaters. You can keep it simple and just season it with salt and pepper or jazz it up a bit like I do and make a garlic lemon butter.
Compound butter is a favorite of mine to make. It’s make ahead friendly and freezes well. You can literally add any of your favorite spices and herbs into and it would be delish. For this recipe I stuck with more traditional flavors that pair well with chicken – lemon, garlic and herbs. Simply mixed together in softened butter and tucked under the skin of the chicken.
When I roast whole legs I like to start with a high heat oven of 450’F for 20 minutes to get the skin crispy and then reduce the temperature to 375’F for an additional 20 minutes or cooked through. I hope this dish becomes one your family gathers around the table together to enjoy!
Roasted Chicken with lemon Garlic and Herb Butter
- 6 whole chicken legs patted dry
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 cups root vegetables chopped evenly
Lemon, Garlic and Herb Butter
- 1/2 cup grass fed butter room temperature
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley and thyme chopped
- Butter – Mix all ingredients in a bowl and place in fridge until ready for use. Season chicken with salt and allow to sit in fridge uncovered overnight if possible. If not just season with salt and pepper and heat oven to 450. Arrange root vegetables on a baking sheet and place chicken legs on top. Be sure there is enough room seperating each leg so they crisp up and cook evenly. Loosen the chicken skin and place 1-2 tsp butter underneath and rub a little bit on top. Place on the middle rack in the oven and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 450 then reduce temperature to 375 until legs are fully cooked. Remove from the oven and serve with those delicious roasted veggies that cooked with the chicken. Can be enjoyed hot or at room temperature.
If you have a favorite family dinner dish please let me know I love to recreate favorites!! Have an amazing week!