Roasted Blood Orange, Carrot and Beet Salad! The ultimate winter salad.
This salad is just 6 ingredients and perfect way to use up your favorite in season citrus and veggies. If you haven’t roasted citrus before please start it is so easy and adds a depth of flavor to anything you add it too. When you roast the citrus it not only concentrates the sugars it concentrates the flavors, hence adding a delicious punch to any meal.
Just be careful when you do roast it the sugars can cause the fruit to caramelize and cook quicker than most veggies. The citrus cooks in about 20 minutes where the carrots and beets will take closer to 25-30 minutes depending on how big you cut them. This salad is fresh and light like a bowl full of sunshine on these darker winter days. I love paring this salad with a millet pilaf and roasted chicken.
Roasted Blood Orange, Carrot and Beet Salad
- 4 large carrorts cut into chunks
- 2 large beets cut into chunks
- 1 large blood orange thinly sliced
- 1 bag fresh arugula
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- olive oil, lemon juice and pistachios for serving
- Heat oven to 375’F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Toss carrots, beets and orange slices with olive oil , salt and pepper. Spread out on baking sheet and roast 25-30 minutes. ( I put the orange slices on there own baking sheet because the cooked in about 20 minutes) When veggies are done remove from the oven and toss with pomegranate molasses. To serve dress arugula with about 1 tbsp olive oil and lemon juice. Toss remaining ingredients and top with chopped pistachios or feta cheese!