Happy hump day everyone. I hope you are having a great start to the week. I wanted to share my favorite ways to save some of the most popular perishable foods most households buy. With times so unique right now I thought it would be helpful so we can all get the most out of the foods we buy.
Here are some of my favorites::
- Milk – When the sell by date is approaching transfer into glass jars and freeze for up to 3 months.( remember to mark the date you place it in the freezer, I like to use painters tape)
- Eggs – can be frozen, crack each egg into an ice cube tray and freeze. Pop each one out when you need it. ( place your eggs shells in your house plants it will give nutrients into the soil)
- Ripe Avocado – slice and freeze in silicon bags or make mashed avocado and freeze that way too
- Herbs – make pestos and sauces and freeze in glass jars or ice cube trays
- Bread – slice loaf in half and freeze in silicon bag
- Fresh Spinach and greens – I just put the whole bag in the freezer and use for smoothies and cooked green recipes
- Hard cheese – wrap in parchment or wax paper and do not store in plastic as mold will grow, will keep in the fridge for a few months
- Potatoes – store with an apple it will help keep them firm and from drowning sprouts
- Berries – let dry on a paper towel and place on a cookie sheet to freeze. Once frozen transfer into a bag and it will keep for months.
- Nuts, seeds and flour – store in the fridge or freezer helps retain freshness
Few more tips – keep a list/ inventory on the side of your fridge so you know what you have on hand so you can use up what you have and not waste money on buying double! Also when in doubt store your food in glass container it will keep food fresher and last longer.
If there is something I missed that you are curious about please reach out I would love to help.
Have an amazing week!!