Pan seared halibut with roasted pepper relish! Healthy dinner ready in under 30 minutes.
Wether you are trying to add more fish to your weekly dinner rotation or just want a delicious easy dinner for busy weeknights this pan seared halibut has you covered. Simply pan seared and topped with a roasted red pepper relish filled with flavors of the mediterranean.
Halibut is my favorite white fish to cook it holds up well to cooking in the pan and also offers a meatiness I feel like other white fish doesn’t offer. It’s also a blank slate for flavor and pairs so well with a variety of cusines. This is a fish I make for people who aren’t the biggest fish lovers and it completely changes there perspective on how delicious fish can be.
Tip for buying halibut: If you’re going for fresh halibut at your supermarket, make sure it looks white with a glossy flesh. Avoid brown spots on the white flesh. 80 percent of Pacific halibut are harvested in Alaskan waters and flash-frozen while still on the boat, so frozen fish might even be a better option. I actually love to buy frozen because the filets come in single serve packages and make it so easy to thaw. When thawing fish place it in the fridge the night before or if you are in a time crunch place it in a bowl of room temperature water and it will thaw in about 20 minutes.
The relish in the recipe is one of my favorites and my take on a pepperonata style topping. It’s filled with roasted peppers, shallots, garlic, capers, fresh parsley, basil, sherry vinegar and olive oil. The best part is this lasts in the fridge for about 5 days and works so well with your favorite proteins or roasted veggies.
A few notes on pan searing halibut: make sure the fish is completely dry before you season it and cook it in the pan ( i love a cast iron) , once added into the pan don’t touch it it will take about 3-4 minutes per side to get that crispy crust. when the halibut begins to flake thats when you know its ready to remove from the pan and serve.
Pan Seared Halibut with Roasted Pepper Relish
- 4 pieces wild caught halibut
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt and black pepepr Roasted Pepper Salsa
- 2 whole red and yellow peppers
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley and basil
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over meduim high heat, Add the avocado oil. Pat the fish filets dry and season with salt and pepper. Add fish filets into the pan and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes until a crust forms. Do not flip until the fish easily releases from the pan and then flip. While the fish is cooking char the peppers under the broiler or ontop of a gas stove. Once charred allow to cool, then peel, deseed and slice. Add all ingredients for the relish into a bowl and then add vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Relish will keep up to 5 days in the fridge.
If you make this recipe I would love to hear from you!! Have an amazing day!!