Gooey Chocolatey Brownie topped with a toasted pecan coconut date caramel! The ultimate brownie for all the chocolate lovers.
It’s February and I like to refer it as the month of love and chocolate! I have been on a chocolate coconut kick lately not sure why but darn is it delicious. These brownies have a gooey chocolate layer with a toasty pecan and coconut caramel topping. I made a date caramel to mix in with the toasted toppings and it added the perfect amount of sweetness. These remind me a bit of the samoa girl scout cookies that I know we all love but healthier!
The brownie layer is made with my favorite cashew almond nut butter from Ground up pdx. It offers that extra layer of nuttiness and coconut flavor. Sweetened with maple syrup and contains only 2 tbsp oil, 1 egg, dark chocolate and cocoa powder. Thats it no flour and simple ingredients!
For the caramel layer I used dates for the caramel instead of the typical caramel made of butter, sugar and cream. The dates add the perfect amount of sweetness and texture for the chocolatey brownies. Not only that but dates don’t spike your blood sugar like typical sugar and they also have a great source of nutrients the body loves. I also added a little twist by blending hot coffee with the dates to add a bit more flavor. If your not a coffee lover just simply use hot water.
One key thing that I feel makes these brownies amazing is toasting the coconut and pecans before mixing in the caramel. I like my coconut extra toasty but make sure you watch it in the oven I can’t tell you how many times I have burned it in the oven!
These are delicious straight out of the fridge or warm them up and make it a la mode with your favorite ice cream. Perfect for Valentines day or just any other day of the week! Get your ovens ready for these chocolatey brownies!
Paleo German Chocolate Brownies
- 1 cup creamy almond cashew coconut butter (can also use cashew butter)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 + 2 tbsp cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup large pitted dates
- 3 tbsp creamy almond cashew coconut butter
- 1/4 cup hot coffee ( or water)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF and lightly grease an 8″ baking pan. Line with parchment. Mix together the nut butter, maple syrup, egg, olive oil , baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, vanilla, and sea salt until combined.Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and top with chopped chocolate and bake until puffed in the middle but still moist, about 20 minutes.Allow to cool and then top with caramel.Caramel – Add the dates to a food processor or high powdered blender. Add in the almond butter, warm coffee or water, vanilla and salt. Blend until smooth and caramel-like. Once the coconut and pecans are done toasting, place in a medium bowl. Add the caramel mixture to it and stir well to fully combine. Spread the mixture evenly over the brownies.Can eat right away or store in the fridge for 5 days.
if you make this recipe please comment below I love to hear from you! Also to grab a few jars of the nut butter check out ground up and save 10% on all orders through this link I love supporting small business and they are one of my favorite! Have an amazing day!