Nutritious Stuffed Sweet Potato Skins!
These healthy sweet potato skins are one of my favorites and families I cook for favorites too. They are cheesy and loaded like nachos but instead of chips I used crispy sweet potato skins. I love a good stuffed potato especially sweet potatoes because they add a hint of sweetness and another layer of flavor plain potatoes don’t offer. Also another health boost who could pass that up! Kid friendly, easy to make and perfect for meal prep.
Made simply with sweet potatoes, protein rich black beans, grilled summer corn, mexican peppers, spices and topped with some gooey grass fed cheese. Think crisp on the outside with a flavor bomb of goodness on the inside.
Each potato skin makes a delicious vegetarian dinner, lunch on a busy day or even an afternoon snack. Whenever you eat them make sure you eat them quickly as everyone around you will want a bite LOL.
A quick tip on cooking the sweet potatoes. I like to bake the sweet potato whole, directly on the oven grates. Cooking the potatoes this way allows them to soften in the center, but also keeps the skins from getting soggy. Or if you don’t want to turn the oven on you can cook the potatoes on the bbq whichever you prefer.
Nutritious Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 poblano pepper diced seeds removed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp mexican oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp chili powder ( i like chipolte)
- 2 ears corn grilled cut off cob
- 1 can organic black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch green onions diced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced seeds removed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1 cup grass fed cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Bake directly on the rack until tender, 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool.At the same time make the filling. In a medium saute pan heat avocado oil. Add onion and poblano pepper cook for 2-3 minutes then add the salt and all the spices. Cook an additional 5 minutes until the peppers and onion soften. Remove from the heat add black beans, grilled corn, diced green onion, tomaotes, cilantro, lime zest and juice. Mix all together and taste add additional salt if needed. Scrape the sweet potato flesh out of the peel, leaving 1/2 inch thick layer of sweet potatoes. ( save the flesh for another use) Brush the skins with a little olive oil and bake for 5 minutes, until crisping. Remove skins from the oven and stuff with the black bean filling. Top with shredded cheese. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve with fresh cilantro and avocado if desired.
If you make this recipe please comment below I love to hear from you!