Mashed sweet potatoes and carrots say hello to your new favorite Thanksgiving side dish. This will be a new addition to my table this year as growing up I never ate sweet potatoes. My whole family is Irish so the only potato that exists is the russet potato. Kidding but not!
When I mash vegetables I love to pair them with similar vegetable friends, as they say if they grow together they go together. As we are heading into the winter season I thought it would be perfect to use the last of my fall carrots and mash them with sweet potatoes. Inside the mash I added ginger, jalapeño, maple syrup, sriracha and fresh thyme. Let me tell you it is a home run full of flavor. Perfect for pairing with your turkey and all the fixings.
Do you have a favorite way you eat sweet potatoes? If you do I would love to hear. Please comment below!
Mashed Sweet potatoes and Carrots
- 2 large sweet potaotes peeled and chopped
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 jalapeno roasted, peeled, chopped
- fresh pepper and kosher salt
- Bring a large pot filled halfway with water to a boil season water with salt. Place sweet potatoes and carrots in a steamer basket and cook until fork tender 10-15 minutes. Once cooked place into a food processor( you can also place in a bowl and use a potato masher). Add maple syrup, ginger, jalopeno, sriracha and thyme pulse a few times to mix ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. I like to leave mine a little chunky but feel free to mix into a smooth puree.