Nutty Farro mixed with crispy roasted vegetables and tossed in a sumac lemon tahini dressing!
Easy to make, prefect for meal prep and full of flavors of the mediterranean. If you are not familiar with farro it is an ancient wheat that is nutty and similar to barley. I love using it in hearty salads adds a burst of flavor and texture. Another bonus it holds up really well for dishes that are made ahead.
When cooking grains and rice I highly recommend cooking them in broth or stock it adds so much flavor to the grain that you really cant get otherwise. If you dont have broth you can simply just throw some vegetable scraps and peels in a bot of water bring it to a boil and then strain and use it as your cooking liquid. Farro is great to treat just like pasta you can just boil it in broth and cook for about 20-30 minutes until you get a chewy texture. I also like to add in some grated garlic and fresh herbs right when its done cooking, again adds that extra punch of flavor.
For the roasted vegetables use whatever you have on hand since its still cold here in Park City I used winter veggies: carrots, brussel sprouts, onion, celery root, turnips and peppers but you can really use anything you love. Just think of the rainbow and get as many colors you can into one bowl! The more colors you eat in a day the more your body and mind thrive in life.
Lemon, Sumac and tahini are a classic flavor pairing in the mediterranean. If you don’t have sumac on hand you can leave it out but I highly recommend using it adds a citrusy lemony flavor regular citrus just doesn’t provide.
If you want to make this salad ahead just store everything separately in glass containers and it will last about 5 days in the fridge. For making meal prep salad jars just divide the dressing into jars as the first layer then add the farro, vegetables and arugula last. You always want to layer wettest to driest so that way the greens dont get soggy! Nothing worse than a soggy salad.
Make Ahead Farro and Roasted Vegetable Salad
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 3 cups broth or stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 3 cups chopped vegetables
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt and pepper
- 1/2 cups fresh parsley chopped
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- Lemon Tahini Sumac Dressing
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4-⅓ cup water
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- pinch of aleppo pepper
- Farro – Heat the broth over high heat in a saucepan until it is boiling. Add the farro, salt and bay leaf and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium to maintain a vigorous simmer. Cook the farro until it is chewy and tender — approximately 15 to 20 minutes for pearled farro, 25 to 30 minutes for semi-pearled farro, or 35 to 40 minutes for whole farro.Drain the farro. Drain the farro completely and mix in grated garlic and herbs Fluff the farro with a fork. Taste, and season with extra salt if needed.Roasted Vegetables – Heat oven to 400'F. Toss vegetables with avocado oil, salt and pepper. Roast 25-40 minutes until vegatbles are cooked. Dressing – Whisk all ingredients in a bowl and add more salt if needed. to serve toss all ingredients in a large bowl I recommend starting with 1/4 cup of dressing tossing everything and adding more. To make salad jars follow directions above! Enjoy!
If you make this recipe I love to hear from you! Comment below and don’t forget to eat the rainbow! Have an amazing day!