Stuffed vegetables, simple and easy to make filled with nutritious fresh ingredients. Equally important is stuffing vegetables makes them there own vessel for a delicious meal. One of my favorite things to stuff are eggplants, they soak up flavors like a sponge and cater to many cuisines.
I know eggplants are available all year round but there peak season is from July-October. The best way to pick an eggplant is to make sure they have a glossy firm skin and feel heavy. The size doesn’t necessarily matter but you definitely want to get a medium to large sized for this recipe.
A key to make sure the eggplant is stuffed properly is to make sure you leave a 1/2 inch border around the outside of each eggplant half. This ensures the eggplants are sturdy enough to be filled. These beauties are filled with meaty mushrooms, juicy summer tomatoes, garlic,fresh herbs and a basil pesto. I topped them with a crunchy, cheesy sunflower seed topping just for good measure. A quick 30 minute bake in the oven and these stuffed eggplants are your new go to healthy dinner.
- Sunflower Seed Topping:
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast or grated pecorino
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped heirloom tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh basil pesto, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 5 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggplants, cut vertically and flesh scooped out and chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Topping: Combine all ingredients in food processor, chop to combine
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Score the bottom of eggplant but don’t cut through the skin. Season inside of eggplant with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Place in a baking dish and cook 15 minutes. Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add avocado oil, onion, eggplant flesh and mushrooms cook until carmelized. Combine the cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, pesto, parsley, oil, garlic in a large bowl. Add half of the seed topping and cooked mushroom mixture. Gently mix the vegetables and topping until thoroughly combined. Pour the eggplant and tomato mixture into the eggplants and top each with the remaining seed topping. Bake, uncovered, until the eggplants are tender and the tops are lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Serve with additional pesto
If you make these stuffed eggplants please be sure to leave a comment or rate the recipe. I love to hear your feedback!