Healthy Sweet Potato Salsa Verde Chicken nachos! Crispy sweet potatoes as chips, herby salsa verde with delicious roasted chicken. The ultimate one bite healthy Nacho.
Healthy nachos is that even possible? Absolutely yes when whole foods are involved. These nachos are filled with all the veggies and high quality protein giving you not only nutrition but delicious flavors in every bite. Texture is a huge part in nachos you want a crispy chip, spicy sauce, some form of meat and a fresh creamy topping.
Lets start with the chip. Have you ever made your own veggie or potato chips? They are so easy and a great way to still eat chips minus all the processed oils in regular chips. For making veggie chips it’s important to make sure each slice is the same thickness and also they are cooked low and slow. All you need are potatoes, olive oil and salt. Bake them at 250’F until crispy perfection.
Salsa verde one of my favorite Mexican salsas. Not too spicy but packs a ton of flavor. The secret here is to char the vegetables before you blend them adding an additional level of flavor. Blended with fresh cilantro and lime juice makes a perfect pairing for the crispy chips and shredded roasted chicken. This is a great way to use up those leftovers with chicken or you can simply make some fresh too. For toppings I love to add more cilantro, diced avocado and lime juice but don’t stop there the possibilities are endless.
If your looking for some snacking for the big game this weekend or a delicious snack any day these are exactly what you need! Healthy and delicious nachos that will satisfy any nacho craving!
Healthy Sweet Potato Salsa Verde Chicken Nachos
- 2 large Purple or orange Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 lime zested
- 2 lbs tomatillos -cut in half
- 1 medium white onion – skin removed cut into chunks
- 2 jalapeno
- 2 poblano peppers
- 4 roma tomatoes – halved
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch green onion
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Chile Powder, cumin, coriander and oregano, kosher salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (121 C) and position oven rack in the center of the oven.Rinse and dry your sweet potatoes thoroughly and slice them as uniformly thin as possible (~1/8 inch thick slices). Toss slices in a touch of olive oil to lightly coat, then sprinkle with salt. Lay out in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 2 hours, flipping chips once at halfway point to ensure even cooking.Remove once crisp and golden brown. Some may feel a little tender in the middle but take them out and let them rest for 10 minutes or so to crisp up before sampling. Serve immediately.For the Salsa Verde: Heat Broiler – Foil a large cookie sheet and place first 5 ingredients on the cookie sheet. Broil until veggies begin to char.Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Season with spices and process until mixed but still a little chunky. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Mix chicken with tomatoes and lime. ( heat chicken if preferred) to assemble – Place salsa verde on top of sweet potato then top with chicken and your favorite fixings!
If you make this recipe please comment below I love to hear from you! Have an amazing day!