Chicken Marsala the classic Italian American dish filled with seared chicken breasts in a rich marsala mushroom sauce!
Chicken Marsala – One of the most sought after dishes served in restaurants is super fast and easy to make in your very own kitchen. Flavourful Chicken Marsala with EXTRA sauce to serve with your chicken and sides, with that authentic rich taste ! Perfect for Sunday dinner with the family or quick weeknight cooking, this is one chicken recipe you will make time and time again.
One of my favorite recipes to make for my family is this chicken Marsala. It shows up on the Sunday dinner table at least once a month. The dish is easy to make, healthy and packed with flavor. The typical Marsala recipe the chicken is breaded in flour and then sautéed in a pan. I make a few changes and actually marinade the chicken on balsamic vinegar when adds an extra layer of flavor to both the chicken and the sauce. At this point you can then grill it or sear it in the pan before making the sauce. I have tried both and they are equally delicious.
For the sauce you need a good Marsala. I recommend dry and I love to get mine from Trader Joes it has great flavor and only $2.99 cant beat that! I also love to add a splash of brandy which deepens the flavor of the wine. Caramelized onions, mushrooms and garlic round out the sauce which simmers in bone broth and finished with cream. To keep it dairy free I use my garlic cashew cream sauce in place of cream. Finish with fresh herbs and your favorite sides and dinner is ready in under 30 minutes!
If you can make sure you buy pasture raised chicken or air chilled chicken this way you are actually eating sure chickens that are not fed candy and soaked in bleach. My go to for chicken is Belcampo Meats it tastes amazing and delivered right to your door! Use the code SAVOR to save 20% on your order! Happy Cooking!
Healthy Chicken Marsala
- 1 1/2 lbs about 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded into equal thickness
- 1 tsp kosher salt + freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms stemmed and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 cup brandy optional
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1 1/4 – 2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or dairy free cashew cream sauce
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch ( to thicken sauce if needed)
- large handful of flat-leaf parsley and basil leaves finely chopped
- In a glass dish add the pounded chicken chicken, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss and marinade overnight if possible if not a few hours in the fridge. Lift chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Heat a large (10-inch to 12-inch) stainless steel or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon to the pan pan, swirling it around until lightly sizzling. Saute the mushrooms until they are cooked and seared on each side, seaon with salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and place in bowl set aside. Add an additional 1 tbsp olive oil to the pan and add the onions. Cook over meduim heat until they begin to carmelize about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and add to the bowl with the mushrooms. Add the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil to the pan add the chicken – in batches to avoid over-crowding the pan – until golden on each side, about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a clean platter add the garlic to the pan and allow to cook for 1 minute. Deglaze the pan with brandy and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the marsala and allow for the wine to cook off for 2-3 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and onions with the juices that are in the bowl. Add 1 1/4 cups bone broth, and reduce until slightly thickened and reduced by about half, about 5 minutes. Over low heat, stir in the heavy cream, balsamic vinegar and season to mixure to taste, adding additional salt and pepper if necessary. If necessary, add more chicken broth to desired consistency or quantity. Transfer the cooked chicken cutlets back into the pan, simmering the mixture gently and spooning over the sauce to heat the chicken pieces throughout. Garnish with the chopped parsley and basil and serve immediately.
If you are looking for Sunday Family dinner inspiration or just a tasty chicken recipe this is for you! As always if you make this recipe I love to hear from you!
Have an amazing DAY!