Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with a Tomato Relish!
Cauliflower has to be one of my favorite vegetables to cook with because it’s so versatile and can be prepared in so many ways. Now that summer is here its time to add it to the bbq. When grilled the vegetable is transformed, gaining a crisp, browned exterior; a tender interior; and sweet, nutty flavor just like when you roast it in the oven.
In order to get the steaks tender on the inside you want to steam them for about 10 minutes or just before fork tender. Once they are steamed I brushed them with avocado oil, salt and pepper. Grilled each side 4-5 minutes until crispy and then brushed them with a lemon garlic oil right when they came off the grill.
One thing I love to do when I grill vegetables is to actually season/marinate them after I grill them. That way right when they come off the heat they soak up all the flavor of whatever I am brushing on them.
For the tomatoes I simply created a foil packet and placed the tomatoes inside with sliced shallot and whole garlic cloves. A little bit of oil, some herbs and placed it on the grill right along with the cauliflower. The tomatoes get a little smokey flavor from the grill and also create a juicy buttery sauce from being enclosed in the foil packet. These steaks are a perfect side to whatever protein you are serving or even make it vegetarian and serve with beans or hummus!
DO you have a favorite vegetable you like to grill? Let me know if you try this recipe out I love to hear from you! Have an amazing day!
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Tomato Relish
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into 4 steaks
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloved grated
- 1 lemon juiced and zeste
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1 large shallot thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp fresh herbs ( parsley, thyme)
- 1 tsp kosher salt and pepper
- Heat bbq grill to medium high. While grill is heating place a pot of water fitted with a steamer basket on the stove. Once water is boiling place cauliflower steaks on basket and steam unitl almost knife/ fork tender. Once done remove from basket and place on a baking sheet. Brush each side with avocado oil and season with salt and pepper. Tomatoes – Get one large piece of foil and place tomatoes, garlic, shallot, herbs, olive oil and salt and pepper. Close foil packet up and place on the bbq. Make sure it is not on the hottest part of the grill as they will burn. Should take about 10-15 minutes for the tomatoes to cook open the foil and check at the 10 minute mark. Once the tomatoes have bursted they are ready and can be taken off the grill. While tomatoes are cooking add cauliflower steaks and grill with a closed lid, grill 4-5 minutes a side. Make sure you dont leave the grill as you want to make sure nothing burns. in a small bowl make the lemon and garlic oil. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, grated garlic, fresh thyme, salt and pepper. Season to taste add more salt if needed. Once caulifower is done remove fron the grill and brush on lemon oil on both sides. When ready to serve top steaks with tomato relish and fresh herbs if desired!