Grilled Carrot Top Za’atar Salsa Verde!
Have you ever grilled your herbs? . If you have any herbs that are sad looking throw them straight on the grill and add them to any sauces, salsas and salads. It adds so much flavor and also prevents you from having to throw them out.
This week on the farm we are harvesting Carrots!!
One of my favorite vegetables to cook with. They are so versatile and delicious. Not only that but ever since I have started volunteering on the farm I have a hard time buying carrots at the store because they are so delicious.
Try Carrots in …
- Your favorite sweet breakfast treats- pancakes, waffles, cakes and muffins
- Tossed in your favorite morning smoothie or roast, braise and blend into soup
- Roasted with tons of herbs and garlic
- Grilled use instead of hot dogs and toss in your favorite salads
- Zoodle them and use mixed in pastas and even roast in the oven with an egg inside
- Don’t forget those carrot tops ( they have 2x’s the nutrients) use in pesto, herb sauces and salads
Did you know?
- You get more nutrients when you eat carrots cooked than raw, cooking gives you 40% more beta carotene
- Carrots are made up of 88% water ( eat them to hydrate your body)
- Pair nutrients for optimal nutrition – Vitamins A, D, E and K + healthy fats – fat-soluble vitamins require fat for absorption. Thus, when it comes to eating salads and/or vegetables such as carrots, sweet potatoes, lettuce and tomatoes, be sure to combine them with an oil-based dressing, nuts or seeds, avocado
- Carrots were first discovered in Afghanistan 900 AD and there are 2 types domestic and wild and over 20 varieties
- The best flavors that pair with carrots are balsamic vinegar, chives, celery, cinnamon, cumin, feta, dill, garlic, ginger, honey, beans, lemon, maple, rosemary, thyme, yogurt and walnuts
- Carrots have a bunch of good-for-you nutrients including vitamins A, C, K and B6, manganese, calcium, lots of dietary fiber and potassium.
- How to select and store?
- Look for fresh bright green tops
- Choose firm strong carrots
- Make sure you separate the tops from the vegetables as the nutrients and flavor will be lost if they stay intact
- Store in a bowl or jar of water in the fridge this will keep them really crisp and they last twice as long
Grilled Carrot Top Salsa Verde
- 1 bunch carrot tops – washed and dried
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp capers chopped
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 1 tsp za’atar seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt and pepper
- Olive oil to cover the top
- Heat bbq to medium high. Grill carrot tops it will only take about 1 minute. Remove from grill and chop tops and place in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients, mix and cover with olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Salsa Verde will stay in the fridge 3-5 days
This sauce is delicious on any protein, avocado toast and all the veggies. Let me know if you give it a try! Happy cooking!