Grilled Cabbage Wedge with Dairy free onion dressing and Crispy Parmesan Chickpeas!
Have you ever grilled cabbage? I have to say it is one of my favorite vegetables to grill. It holds it’s shape, gets crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Not only that but it is a blank canvas for anything you put on it. For this recipe I did a little twist on the standard wedge salad. Instead of ice berg lettuce I chose cabbage, charred onion dressing in place of blue cheese and crispy chickpeas in place of the bacon and tomatoes.
Since I was already grilling the cabbage I thought why not grill some onion and add it to the dressing. Oh boy let me tell you it’s a new favorite. It’s rich and creamy from the cashews adding the grilled onion adds a burst of flavor and smokiness. For the chickpeas who doesn’t love a crispy chickpea? I make them almost weekly and you can’t go wrong with parmesan cheese. They kind of remind me of the pasta dish Cacio e pepe , which pairs wonderfully with the cabbage and dressing.
Perfect amount of crunch, creaminess and umami in this salad will make a delicious accompaniment to summer grilling season. Next time you are at the store grab a head of cabbage and get ready for deliciousness!!
Grilled Cabbage Wedge Salad with Onion Dressing and Parmesan Chickpeas
- 2 heads napa or green cabbage cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 lemon zested
- 3 tbsp addjoi cashew base or 1 1/2 cups soaked cashews drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 2 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 shallot peeled and grilled
- 1/2 red onion grilled
- 1/2 sweet onion grilled
- fresh cracked pepepr to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed and dried
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp fresh cracked pepper
- Cabbage – Heat bbq to medium high. Cut cabbage heads in half ( if large cut into quarters) brush both sides with avocado oil and place on the grill with the lid closed. Grill 3-4 minutes per side or until the cabbage begins to crisp and soften. Remove from grill and season with salt, pepper and lemon zest. Dressing – Heat bbq to medium high. When hot grill onions 4-5 minutes or until charred. Remove from grill and allow to cool. Place the cashew mix or soaked cashews in the container of high-speed upright blender. Add the water, onion, vinegar, garlic, salt, and a few cracks of pepper. blend everything on high for a couple of minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the container, as needed. blend until the cashew sauce is silky smooth. Store in a lidded container for up to 1 week.Chickpeas- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.Spread the chickpeas on a kitchen towel and pat them dry. Remove any loose skins.Transfer the dried chickpeas to the baking sheet and toss them with a drizzle of olive oil .Roast the chickpeas for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Ovens can vary, if your chickpeas are not crispy enough, keep going until they are! Remove from the oven and, while the chickpeas are still warm, toss with garlic powder, parmesan cheese and pepper.To assemble salad – place grilled cabbage in a bowl or on a platter and drizzle with dressing and top with chickpeas. You can also chopped the cabbage to make a slaw, toss with dressing and top with chickpeas.
If you make this recipe please comment below I love to hear from you! Have an amazing day!