Greek Orzo Stuffed Peppers! These are quick, easy, healthy and so delicious. Slow roasted peppers stuffed with orzo, feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and herbs. Topped with crispy herby breadcrumbs.
Happy September everyone! I can’t believe another month has gone by where is the time going? I am excited for the new month because it means new vegetables will be showing up at the farmers market. With summer coming to an end and fall on the horizon we get the best of both seasons. Some veggies and fruits to start buying are apples, grapes, cabbage, peppers, summer and winter squash and carrots. So many of my favorites i’m so excited to share recipes with you in the next few months.
Now all about these stuffed peppers. I love stuffing vegetables its a great way to get more vegetables into your diet and can really be filled with any vegetables and grains in your kitchen. I like to roast the peppers before I stuff them. I coat them in olive oil and season with salt, garlic and oregano. Cooking the peppers a bit before stuffing really adds more flavor and cuts the cooking time in half.
While the peppers are cooking you can make the stuffing. I used orzo pasta, feta cheese, red onion, sundried tomatoes and fresh herbs. Mix all together with a few spices and red wine vinegar and viola the stuffing is ready. One small tip on feta cheese. When you buy it try and buy it in the brine. I use a splash of the brine in this recipe and it really adds great taste to the dish. Also your cheese will stay fresher longer if you buy it in the brine!
This dish meal prep friendly and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. If you’re looking to add a little protein, toss white beans and or grilled chicken in with the orzo. Either would be great!
Greek Orzo Stuffed Peppers
- 3 red bell peppers halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1 cup dry orzo
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup oil packed sundried tomaotes
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup kalmata olives chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil torn
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tbsp feta brine
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs toasted
- 1/4 cup fresh basil and oregano chopped
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a 9×13 inch baking dish, toss the peppers with the olive oil, garlic, salt and the oregano. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the peppers are beginning to char. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the orzo according to package directions until al dente. Drain and toss with the sundried tomaotes, red wine vinegar, olives, fresh herbs, red onion, feta brine and feta. Taste and add more seasonings if needed. in a bowl combine the toasted breadcrumbs with fresh herbs and red pepper flakes. Stuff the warm orzo inside the peppers. Top with breadcrumbs and drizzle with olive oil. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe please rate and comment below. I love to here from you. Have an amazing week!