Dairy Free Chicken Alfredo Pasta!
Any Alfredo lovers out there? This is a quick and easy dish to make in less than 30 minutes, so comforting and a huge crowd pleaser! As it is nearing the end of the week I know cooking can get to be the last thing we want to do especially now that most of us are wearing many hats from chef, teacher to parents and on.
All you need are a few pantry staples : pasta, chicken, mushrooms, onion, garlic, dairy free alfredo sauce and some fresh herbs. Lets talk about the sauce for a second my favorite is Primal Kitchen Foods not only for the taste but also the quality of ingredients that are in it. There are no additives, sugars or foreign ingredients that you can’t understand. It is my go to for a quick delicious dinner.
Now if you don’t want to use chicken no problem add beans, beef or your favorite protein of choice. I used penne pasta because that is what I had on had if you love another type of noodle go for it. This recipe can be adaptable to your palate. Get your stove top and pots ready for your new favorite dairy free Alfredo!!
Dairy Free Chicken Alfredo
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 box penne pasta
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (or leftover roasted chicken)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp balsalmic vinegar
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves thinly siced
- 1 jar Primal Kitchen Foods Dairy Free Alfredo Sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- nutritional yeast for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and salt generously. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente, tender but still slightly firm. Strain, and reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.Meanwhile, slice the chicken into 1/4-inch-thick strips, and lay them on a plate. Season with salt and pepper.Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add 2 tablespoons of the avocado oil. Raise the heat to medium-high and add the chicken in 1 layer. Cook, without moving the pieces, until the underside has browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the pieces, and cook until browned and fully cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add basalmic vinegar and Transfer the chicken to a medium bowl.Reduce the heat to medium, and add the mushrooms. Scrape the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon to release any browned bits. When the mushrooms are cooked season with salt and place in the same bowl as the chicken. Reduce heat to medium and add onions. Cook for 5-6 minutes until they begin to carmelize. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken and mushrooms with there juices back into the pan. Stir a few times and then add the alfredo. Bring to a slow simmer and cook for 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add pasta and a 1/4 cup of pasta water at a time to reach desired sauce consistency. Toss in basil and serve. Top with more herbs and the cheese of your choice.
If you try this recipe out I would love to hear what you think! Have an amazing rest of your day!