Nothing beats a delicious bowl of cozy soup in the winter time. This is a family favorite and so easy to make. The best part it’s literally made in the oven.
Here are a few tips for making any type of soup.
- Make homemade stock- it is really a game changer, just throw all of your scraps in a pot cover with water and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Roast the vegetables you are using before you puree the soup. This adds so much flavor. If the recipe asks you to sweat the vegetables take 1/2 the vegetables and roast them with salt and pepper the other half sweat like the recipe calls for.
- Flavor boosters- parmesan cheese rinds and toasted spices. I love to add rinds into the soups and let them cook with the base and when ready to serve I pull it out.
- Brown or sear the protein you are using – this adds that delicious crust and also helps the meat from drying out
- Mix up textures – add beans, grains, crunchy slaw for topping or herby breadcrumbs
- Add a ton of fresh herbs and salt throughout the cooking process.
- Finish with a splash of acid – lemon juice your favorite vinegar etc. This just really brings out the flavors but wait to do this until the end of cooking!
- Add creaminess without cream – use coconut milk, puree the soup in the high speed blender, add a dollop of yogurt at serving.
- Don’t boil it to death – cook it low and slow
- Finally make enough to freeze – I personally think soup tastes better the next day and I love to freeze it so you can savor the flavors of seasons all year around!
2 cans whole peeled organic tomatoes
1 Parmesan rind
2 bay leaves
2 whole peeled garlic cloves
1 small onion diced
1 cup dairy free or regular milk @addjoi ( danielle10)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Heat oven 350 ‘f . In an oven safe baking dish add onion, garlic, rind, bay leaves and tomato season with salt and pepper. Stir and bake 1 hour.
Remove from oven and discard rind and leaves . Add mixture to blender add remaining ingredients blend until smooth! Taste to adjust seasonings and serve!