Chicken Tortilla Soup! A bowl full of Mexican goodness.
It’s literally freezing and snowing here in Utah and there is nothing cozier than a delicious bowl of heart warming soup. Loaded with juicy chicken thighs, charred corn and hearty beans. Cooked in homemade chicken broth and red enchilada sauce which amps up the Mexican flavors. Being a California girl Mexican food is definitely a comfort food for me!
When I make soups one thing I make sure I always do is season and sear the protein before I add it into the soup. It not only imparts more flavor but begins blooming the spices and creates more depth of flavor. I also like to use boneless thighs because you don’t have to worry about them drying out!
Once you get this soup started your home will smell like an amazing Mexican restaurant! Be sure to finish off the soup with lots and lots of avocado, cheese, cilantro, and maybe even some greek yogurt and limes too. <–perfection
Chicken Tortilla Soup
small sweet onion diced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 jalopenos seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt and pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp mexican oregano, cumin, paprkia and kosher salt mix together into a bowl
- 4 cups homemade or store-bought red enchilada sauce
- 4 cups homemade or store bought chicken broth
- 1 can black beans drained, rinsed
- 1 small can fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 1 cup charred corn
- 2 cups cooked rice or quinoa
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- tortilla chips, diced mango, sliced avocado, limes, shredded cheddar, and yogurt, for serving
- Season chicken with spice mixture set aside.Heat avocado oil in a large sauce pot. Add chicken and sear each side for about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. ( don't worry they will finish cooking in the soup) Add onion, jalapeno adn cumin and salt to pan. Scrape up bits from the chicken add more oil if needed. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add tomatoes, broth and enchilada sauce. Stir until combined. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Meanwhile cut up chicken into bite sized pieces. Add chicken and juices to pot, along with beans and corn. Simmer an additional 15-20 minutes. Season with additioonal salt if needed. Add lime juice and cilantro. Place rice or quinoa in the bottom of bowls and Ladle the soup into bowls and top with tortilla chips, mango, avocado, cheese, and yogurt. Garnish with cilantro and limes. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe please comment below! I love to hear from you!