Keeping things healthy and delicious with this spring inspired carrot herb hummus.
Hummus is absolutely one of my favorite things to eat and make. I refer to it as the holly grail of sauces. All you need are a few simple ingredients, and the possibilities are endless.
The key staple ingredients in a hummus are chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon, salt and olive oil. Once you have the base to the hummus, you can add a variety of spices and cooked vegetables to blend in. A few of my favorite combos are beets with horseradish, roasted red peppers with basil, sun dried tomatoes with parsley and sweet potatoes with caramelized onions.
For this recipe I took some fresh carrots from the farmers market steamed them until fork tender and added them to the food processor with chickpeas, tahini, lemon, garlic, olive oil, cumin, paprika and a ton of herbs. Blended it away in a food processor until silky smooth. Pair with your favorite chips, bread, roasted veggies or even just eat straight from the spoon!
- 1 can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup steamed carrots
- ¼ cup fresh herbs (chives, dill, parsley, oregano, basil, mint etc.)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-4 tablespoons cold water
- Place lemon juice, garlic and salt in food processor or blender, pulse to combine. Add tahini, olive oil, spices, carrots and chickpeas blend until mixture is smooth. While blending if needed add water 1 tablespoon at a time until reaches very smooth consistency. Taste and adjust if necessary. Mix in fresh herbs, drizzle with olive oil and serve.