Caramelized onion, apple and fennel with a creamy mustard and sage sauce. This dish absolutely screams thanksgiving and I can not believe the three week countdown has begun. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays of course because of the food but also it’s when I get to spend time with family. This year will be a little different as I won’t be with family because I just moved but I am excited to hopefully be cooking for a family and help make there day special.
This dish is literally one of my new favorites. Caramelized onions are an amazing way to add an unami bomb of flavors to a meal. When paired with the tartness of green apple and the anise flavor of fennel it’s a perfect fall dish.
I slowly sautéed onion, apple and fennel until they began to caramelize and then deglazed the pan with marsala wine. Mixed in dijon mustard, fresh sage and parsley seasoned with salt and pepper. Serve with your turkey or even delicious as a side dish on its own.
Caramelized Onion, Apple and Fennel
- 1 whole sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 large granny smith apple thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fennel thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup marsala wine
- 3 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup djion mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat avocado oil in large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion, fennel and apple season with salt. Cook stirring ocassionally for 10 minutes then place a lid on top for additional 10 minutes. Remove lid and stir cook mixture until the onions begin to deepen in color and carmelize. Once they begin to carmelize deglaze the pan with marsala wine. Cook for 2 minutes and add remaining ingredients, mix and cook until warmed through. Season with additional salt if necessary.
If you make the recipe please rate or comment below I would love to hear from you!