Butternut squash taco bites with pomegranate glazed pecans. The perfect appetizer for any holiday festivity. These bites are quick, simple and a crowd pleaser. Roasted butternut squash is the taco shell filled with a pickled apple, avocado, onion and pomegranate salsa and topped with sumac pomegranate glazed pecans. These are sweet and savory festive appetizers perfect for holiday entertaining.
Sweetness from the roasted squash, tartness from the apple, a hint of spice from the pecans and creaminess from the avocado is the perfect marriage for a delicious appetizer.
I am so excited that today I am actually making these live on my local news station Park City TV. I have never been on TV before and so grateful for the opportunity to share one of my recipes for the holidays. It is definitely out of my comfort zone but I am working on challenging myself more and I feel this is definitely a big step.
If you make this recipe or have a favorite appetizer you want a healthy spin on please comment below I would love to hear from you!
Butternut Squash Taco Bites with Pomegranate Glazed Pecans
- 1 large butternut squash peeled, cut into thin slices
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/3 cup finely diced green apple
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 large avocado diced
- 1 tsp sumac
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup whole raw pecans
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 tsp raw sugar
- Heat oven to 350'F. Peel squash you will only need the neck part (the area without the seeds) cut into 1/4 inch slices. You want them to look like taco shells. Toss squash with avocado oil, salt, pepper and cinnamon sugar. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes.
- Mix onion, sumac, vinegar, water and salt in a bowl. Let sit 10 minutes then add in pomegranate seeds, apple and avocado.
- Heat oven to 325'F. Place oil, spices and molasses in a bowl and mix unitl combined. Toss in pecans and place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes and allow to cool.
- Place squash slices on a plate and top each with a scoop of salsa and top with pecans. Everything can be prepared in advance just wait to assemble until ready to eat!