Happy Spring! These broccoli steaks with anchovy, lemon and onion are the bomb!
Look out cauliflower these broccoli steaks are an easy fun twist on your basic broccoli dishes. I love the combination of anchovy , garlic, lemon and onion they provide an unami and acidic punch the broccoli loves. Broccoli is one of my favorite early spring vegetables filled with amazing vitamins and a fun fact this veggie contains more protein than any other vegetable.
For this recipe a few important notes are to steam the steaks for 2-3 minutes and then sear them in the cast iron to create that delicious crispy crust. You can use anchovy paste or whole anchovies but please make sure you use them it add a depth of flavor and doesn’t taste fishy ( just don’t tell the kids). All you need are 6 ingredients, a cast iron pan and 15 minutes.
Broccoli Steaks with Anchovy, lemon and Onion
- 2 heads broccoli cut into 4 steaks
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 whole lemon 1/2 thinly sliced, other half for juicing
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp anchovy paste
- pinch red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and pepper
- olive oil for serving
- Heat pot of water fitted with a steamer basket .Cut the broccoli into large steaks and steam for 3-4 minutes( not completely fork tender you still want some crunch) In a cast iron skillet heat 2 tbsp avocado oil and add 1/2 sliced red onion. Cook until the onion begins to brown about 5 minutes. Then add broccoli and garlic to pan and sear broccoli on each side 2 minutes over high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Add lemon slices and anchovy paste cook for 2 minutes. If it dries up add additional 1 tbsp oil and deglaze the pan with lemon juice. Add red pepper flakes and drizzle with olive oil to serve.
I hope you are staying safe and healthy. I am working on getting you more recipes weekly. Anything in particular you are looking for? Please let me know I would love to get you recipes you are craving!!