These baked beans are sweet, smoky and savory a new sure fired hit at your next bbq.
Baked beans are such a classic bbq staple and perfect for anytime of year. You might be thinking I am a little crazy adding blueberries to baked beans but let me tell you they add the perfect amount of sweetness without adding sugar like typical store bought beans. Therefore by adding bold flavors like fire roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika the sweetness from the blueberries and balsamic balances out. I like to think of baked beans as an easy to make one pot side dish, a fix it and forget it type. Baked in the oven these beans are packed full of flavor, on their own, or equally delicious stuffed in a baked potato.
This recipe was inspired by Traci at Vanilla and Bean she focuses on delicious sweet and savory veggie creations that are delicious and easy to make. These baked beans are a hearty and a great addition to your recipe repertoire.
- 1 can canennili beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 batch blueberry bbq sauce
- Blueberry bbq Sauce
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- Preheat oven to 350F . In a large roasting pan, add the onion, carrots, garlic, chili flakes, cumin, paprika, salt and olive oil. Stir. Roast for 20 minutes. To the onion mixture, add the beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, and BBQ sauce. Gently stir. Place back in the oven and cook an additional 30-40 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Cook for about 10 minutes until flavor meld and it reduces by ⅓.
If you make this recipe please rate/comment below. I would love to hear from you and have an amazing day!