BBQ Jackfruit Stuffed Sweet Potatoes!
Have you ever tried Jackfruit? It has been on quite the trend lately for those of us trying to get more fruits and veggies into our diets. It is a fruit, with a consistency that is similar to that of chicken or pork. It has a fairly neutral taste when young, so it takes on the flavor of whatever sauce or seasoning you pair it with. Hence my bbq stuffed sweet potatoes!
I like to buy it in a can or in the refrigerator section in the store. You can buy the whole fruit itself but it is a beast of a fruit and can be a mess to get the actual flesh out. It is so versatile and can be used in place of any chicken or pulled meat dish you love.
For this recipe I simply sautéed onion and chile peppers with spices, added in the jackfruit, vinegar and my favorite bbq sauce from Primal Kitchen Foods allowed it to simmer for a few minutes to heat up. Then added some beans for protein and stuffed the mixture inside of the sweet potato! It’s as easy as that! Dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Quick little tip on something I love to do when I use any already made sauces. I look at the spices and ingredients that are on the label and then I add those to whatever I am sautéing for the mixture. It amplifies the flavors that much more!
BBQ Jackfruit Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 poblano pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 jalopeno seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups Primal kitchen foods bbq sauce
- 1 can pinto or black beans drained,rinsed
- red cabbage, avocado, lime and cilantro for serving
- Heat oven 375’F. Place potatoes on oven rack and bake 40-50 minutes or until soft. In a saute pan heat avocado oil and add onion, poblano and jalapeño cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and add garlic and seasonings. Cook for 1 minute then add jackfruit, vinegar, bbq sauce and bring to a simmer for 10-12 minutes. Add beans and more kosher salt if necessary. To serve cut open potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Divide jackfruit mixture among potatoes and top with fresh chopped cabbage , cilantro and lime juice!
If you try this recipe I would love to hear from you! If you are looking for more delicious recipes from me I created my first EBOOK that you can find right at the top of my home page! I hope you have an amazing week!