Bacon and Brussel sprouts need I say more!! One of my favorite vegetables is the brussel sprout which I know is a love or hate relationship for many. But let me tell you this recipe will change you into a sprout lover. My niece and nephew are huge fans of this dish I personally think it is because of the bacon because who doesn’t love bacon but they do enjoy the veggie part as well.
This slaw hits all flavor profiles. The warm maple dressing gives sweetness, the bacon provides a meaty and fattiness and the cheese give that salty umami bomb of flavors we all love.
The beauty of this slaw is it can be thrown together in 20 minutes or less. Perfect for a quick weeknight dish or one of my favorites a thanksgiving side.
Bacon and Brussel Sprout Slaw
- 6 cups shredded brussel sprouts
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 small green apple
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts or pecans
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 whole shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme and sage
- 1 tsp orange and lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- pinch red pepper flakes
- In a large salad bowl, combine the shredded brussel sprouts, cheese, hazelnuts and apple.Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain onto a paper towel. Drain bacon fat from skillet.To make the vinaigrette. Heat the olive oil in the same skillet used to cook the bacon over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the shallots, cook until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat, let cool slightly. Add the mustard, lemon juice, thyme, sage, lemon and orange zest. Whisk and Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Adjust seasoning to taste.Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, tossing to combine. Top the salad with bacon. Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you make this dish please rate/comment below. I would love to hear from you!