The Whole Roasted Head
The WHOLE roasted head no pun intended. Cauliflower is an essential addition to my weekly shopping adventures because it can be used in so many different ways. So easy to prepare with a few staple pantry spices and a sturdy cast iron skillet you are on your way to pure deliciousness.
This cauliflower is basted with bold spices that taste like a trip to Mexico . This blend brings a hint of sweetness from the coriander, earthiness from the chilies and cumin and smokiness from the paprika.
Buying spices in there whole form is the best way to go. Briefly toast them on low heat in a small skillet, once you begin to smell the amazing aroma turn the heat off and allow them to cool. Once cooled blend in a spice grinder and mix with remaining ingredients. A trick I learned from Minimalist Baker is to flip the cauliflower upside down and pour your sauce/spice mixture through the bottom so it gets all those nooks and crannies. Then baste the top and roast it until golden brown perfection.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- ¼ cup avocado or coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- 3 tbsp ancho chile powder
- 2 tsp hot smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp Whole coriander toasted, ground
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Whole cumin toasted, ground
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp ground chile de árbol
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Fill a small baking pan halfway with water and set on the bottom of the oven.
- Cut off the bottom stalk of the cauliflower without removing too much of the core. You want the entire head intact for baking. Peel away any remaining green leaves and place in a cast-iron skillet. Heat a small skillet on low add cumin and coriander seeds. Toast until spices become fragrant. Remove from heat, allow to cool and grind in a spice grinder. Mix with remaining spices.
- In a bowl, mix together avocado oil, water, and spice mixture. Taste and adjust flavor if needed.
- Flip your cauliflower upside down and pour ⅔ of the sauce. Let the sauce pour down the core, shake it around so it infuses the center, and then flip the cauliflower over and use a brush to rub the leftover sauce. Place cauliflower core-side down before baking and add season with more salt and the spice mixture.
- Place in oven and roast for 35-50 minutes (depending on size of cauliflower) or until a knife easily pierces the core.